Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mountains of Veggies

I

This is the face I make after 12 hours of travel!  Not fun!  But the eye-mask & noise-canceling headphones help.  However, the aches & pains of travel ease a bit when you find this place in the airport concourse of your connection.


Woo-hoo!  I got to eat tofu chili & steamed veggies in the Dallas airport (while waiting for my 2nd delayed flight) while everyone else was stuck with McDonalds!  Healthy food makes my tummy very happy!  But for those of you dying for fries... go to this place because they bake the fries instead of frying them... genius right?!  Check them out in Concourse B at DFW


The healthy food may make my tummy happy but this view makes my heart happy!  


Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh... now that is why I put up with all the ridiculous late flights & broken planes.  This was my welcome-wagon view of the Colorado mountains as I landed in Aspen for the 2nd time in 2 months.  I'm falling in love with this place & I am a Miami-girl through & through... so for the Rocky Mountains to be pulling at my heartstrings... that says something!


But this is the real reason that I am in the Centennial State... my BFF Sasha Andrade & her handsome groom Avi Tryson, came to tie the knot in this gorgeous, show-stopping, wedding-worthy, postcard-looking location with these stunning mountains as the backdrop.  If I wasn't there, I would not have believed that the landscape was real, that's how perfect it looked!


We had to ride a gondola to make the trip up to the mountain summit.  Quite a different outfit for this June climate, than when I was out here 2 months ago skiing my butt off on a very snow-covered Ajax mountain!  The April temperatures required more layers!


But I digress... Back to the Bride!  Sasha was stunning & the intimate ceremony was so gorgeous & special, I was honored to be a part of such a love-filled day!


But once the champagne started flowing...



We went from love & romance to party animals!


Sasha & Avi win 1st place in 3 distinct categories:
1. Most Beautiful Wedding I have ever attended
2. Best Post-Wedding Pub Crawl ALL over Aspen
3. They took good care of the Vegan


This was my meal at the "Meatball Shack" during the rehearsal dinner!  I was so impressed & touched by how the newlyweds treated their favorite vegan!  Arugula, tomatoes & zucchini... Yay!


It is VERY easy to eat Vegan in Aspen.  For the second time in 2 months, I had no problem.  Breakfast was a delicious coffee with almond milk & a sunrise eye-opener breakfast bar made with all organic oats & fruits & veggies & nuts - of course non-dairy & with just a smidge of agave.  Great way to start the day!


Lunch was even better!  Homemade gazpacho with local organic tomatoes & onions along with a quinoa salad topped with mango & watermelon.  That was the most perfect meal to get me revved up for my 20 mile bike ride along the Rio Grande Trail!


I spin about 3-4 times a week but NOTHING in a gym compares to the view I enjoyed of the river, the mountains, the wildlife, the flowers, the plants & the fresh air!  WOW!  What a way to live... I'm genuinely jealous of all Coloradans right now!  And speaking of wildlife, guess what I saw while hiking the Maroon Bells???


A baby deer!  This fawn was right in our path!  I could not believe it!  I never see anything like this in Miami!  What a treat!  She just let us watch her for a few minutes & then ran off to join her Mommy.  I loved my day outdoors, taking advantage of the sunny sights, while hiking & biking my way all over Aspen.  But all that exercise works up a hefty appetite & I was ecstatic to sit down & eat CARBS!


The chef at 'Above the Salt' made me a special meal (not on the menu) and I ate every darn bite! Actually, if I wasn't out in public, I might have licked the plate, it was that good!  Pappardelle with mushrooms, leeks, spinach & onions in a light vegetable broth.  I died & went to pasta heaven!


My view at the restaurant.  I'm one of those weird people who has no problem eating alone.  I love to talk to my server, people-watch, sip & enjoy my wine & really savor my food.  I also like making people wonder, "Why is that poor girl eating alone?"  Ha ha he he


Until next time Aspen... Because you KNOW I will be back... I love this place!































No comments:

Post a Comment